DR. MARCEL VAN NIJNATTEN, TALKS ABOUT POLICY ISSUES IN WATER RESOURCES AND FOOD SECURITIES EMPHASISING GREATER ATTENTION TO THE GRASS ROOT LEVEL SOLUTIONS.
Water Resources Development
Session 1 Day 3
- Session on “Water” was hosted by Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation fom 11 am to 1 pm on the 8th of November at the India Pavilion @COP23, Bonn, 2017.
The informative session saw a large global participation and indepth interaction.
- The Session involved 7 key speakers highlighting diverse challenges in the water resources sector. Dr BRK Pillai, Commissioner, MOWR, RD&GR outlined the current water resources issues and the challenges ahead.
- Shri Sanjay Marwah, Regional Director, CGWB gave a highlight of the Government of India’s initiative for aquifer mapping for sustainable ground water development.
- Dr. Kirit N Shelat, Executive Chairman, NCCSD talked about the food, water, energy nexus in arena of climate change. This was followed by two presentations by Dr. Jai Prakash Gosalia and Dr. Rajkumar Korde from EXCES industries and Vivekanand Research and Training Institute who highlighted case study of gujrat in ocean area development and a case study of Maharashtra in sustainable conservation agriculture technique respectively.
- Dr Marcel Van Nijnaten, Netherlands talked about policy issues in water resources and food securities emphasising for greater attention to the grassroot level solutions.
- Last speaker of the session Dr. Dipayan Dey, South Asian Forum for Environment, shared his experience regarding participating water management at watershed level.
- The presentations were followed by questions pertaining to many practical aspects and were suitably addressed by the key presenters. The session came to an end with classic remarks from Dr. Pillai